Apart from Porto Ercole, the other main town on Argentario is Santo Stefano. It is a lively, bustling, port where there are many things to see and do such as take the Maregiglio ferry to the neighbouring Tuscan islands of Giglio and Giannutri.
Things to see in Porto Santo Stefano
- The Spanish Fortress (Fortezza Spagnola) built in the early 17th century
- The Lungomare (seaside promenade) designed by Giugario in 1983
- Piazza delle Meraviglie in front of the Town Council Building
- Aquarium: The aquarium of Porto Santo Stefano (the full name of the Acquario mediterraneo della Costa d’Argento) is located on the Lungomare dei Navigatori. It is spread over two floors with nine rooms and 17 tanks. There are numerous marine species to see including sponges, crustaceans, molluscs and various fish.
The most beautiful beaches near to Porto Santo Stefano
In Porto Santo Stefano and in the surrounding area there are many very beautiful beaches. The first of these beaches is that of Cala del Gesso, considered by many to be the most beautiful in the Argentario.
A little further south is the beach of Cala Piccola and the lovely Hotel Torre di Cala Piccola.
Recommended restaurants in or near to Porto Santo Stefano
- La Fontanina: Delicious “aperitivi” – Good meat as well as fish. Lovely view high above the town in the hills. Tel: +39 0564 825261
- Il Moletto: Excellent trattoria – mainly seafood. Wonderful location at the far end of the old harbour with great views. Tel: +39 0564 813636
- Il Foro: Good pizzeria. Located at the entrance to Porto Santo Stefano, just below the wall of the main road, which descends to the first roundabout when you enter the town. Tel: +39 0564 814138
- Il Veliero: Excellent seafood restaurant right on the sandy Giannella beach. Beautiful sunsets over the Argentario. Tel: +39 0564 812226